Saturday, January 14, 2023

Book Review -- "I'm Glad My Mom Died" by Jennette McCurdy


5 stars to "I'm Glad My Mom Died" by Jennette McCurdy.


When my son was younger, he watched iCarly, and my favorite character was Sam, played by the author, Jennette McCurdy. When I saw this book at the book store, the title stopped me dead in my tracks. I have a complicated, ugly relationship with my mother, so I somewhat guiltily added this book to my to-read list.


Jenette's mother is a mess, and she had no trouble passing this messiness to her daughter. Child actors have a reputation for having a rough time of it, and being pushed to act to fulfill a mother's wish is a recipe for eventual disaster. Add to that a horrific relationship with food and the subsequent eating disorders, which I definitely resonated with, and good lord but I felt for this girl.


Jennette McCurdy is funny and wry and even though the subject matter is weighty and often complicated, I appreciated the strength of her relating her journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts!